Sunday, September 12, 2010

Upon The Road of Ruin

I strayed from what I knew only to find
Myself upon a ruin'd road most unkind.
'Twas there I met a man of noblest mien
And tongue of fire who placed himself between
The path and I with his long arms held wide
And seeking to turn me from my dark stride.
He spoke to me, "Leave this place, oh brother
Dear! Go back to ways of youth and mothers'
Teachings so pure, so humble, and so bright.
Why have ye cast off the plainness of light
For tempest-tossed ways and darkness of days
And cold death? Why, you could wander in ways
Of happiness bright! Wanting for naught save
Thy brethren who strayed down to the dark cave
Of despair." He pleaded with me and all
I could do was turn on my heel and call
O'er my shoulder, "I thank you, dear brother,
For turning my gait! I'll have no other
Life but the one you spoke of--filled with love
Of life and those who surround up above!"

--C.R.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment