Thursday, April 7, 2011

Free

There wasn't any moonlight,
Angels in chorus, or
A brightly burning sky
When your eyes met mine
For the first time, my dear.
I saw fear. And pain long-buried.
I heard gulls cry in a different way
That selfsame day.
No longer did they seem so free,
So light.
Before, they seemed happy
As they floated on currents
Above the foamy sea.
Then, they soared on broken wings,
Calling to others who have lost, have hurt.
Never leaving their bays for fear.
I took you into my heart,
A broken gull,
And nursed you until whole once more.
And here you are still--not trapped, unafraid.
A gull who can leave when she likes,
But chooses simply to stay and stay.

--C.R.E.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness Cody. I love this! Your future life is a lucky one :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! You read this one, too? I'm... embarrassed. Like a lot. This is my drivel-poetry blog. Like really. I tend to spend a grand total of about ten minutes on these silly things.

    ReplyDelete